Rangitahi learn, create, and connect through music26 May 2023 - The Sunrise Foundation
In last year's annual funding round The Gisborne International Chamber Music Competition received a grant from our General fund. In partnership with Chamber Music New Zealand (CMNZ) they presented a series of music-based programmes for communities in Tairāwhiti-Gisborne.
Based around three areas of focus; Learn, Create and Connect, the projects were designed to create opportunities for people who have had little or no access to the arts to express themselves through music.
Valerie Paquin, Chamber Music Marketing and Communications Executive, says “The sharing of music is a wonderful way to build on communication skills and strengthen relationships as well as providing a constructive way in which to have fun with others.”
Amongst several projects in 2022, they delivered a three-day creative residency course at Kaiti school where students were given the opportunity to create music using bucket drums. Music tutors also visited Tauawhi Men’s Centre to present a series of interactive workshops, each adapted to the age, interests, and skills of the participants.
Another successful workshop took place at Matapuna Training Centre where musicians worked alongside rangatahi creating music using bucket drums, ukulele and violins which culminated in a performance.
One student said, “The best part was learning to play the instruments and doing the programme with friends. I found singing in front of people and writing my own song challenging, but I learnt I could perform."
- Summer 2023Summer-2023.pdf - (551 KB)
- Spring 2023Spring-2023.pdf - (515 KB)
- Winter 2023Winter-2023.pdf - (541 KB)
- Autumn 2023Autumn-2023.pdf - (549 KB)
- Summer 2022Summer-2022.pdf - (560 KB)
- SPRING 2022SPRING-2022.pdf - (451 KB)
- Winter 2022Winter-2022.pdf - (1 MB)
- Autumn 2022Autumn-2022.pdf - (460 KB)
- Summer 2021Summer-2021.pdf - (553 KB)
- Spring 2021Spring-2021.pdf - (1.1 MB)
- Winter 2021Winter-2021.pdf - (606 KB)
- Autumn 2021Autumn-2021.pdf - (568 KB)
- Summer 2020Summer-2020.pdf - (584 KB)
- Spring 2020Spring-2020.pdf - (548 KB)
- Winter 2020Winter-2020.pdf - (548 KB)
- Autumn 2020Autumn-2020.pdf - (478 KB)
- Summer 2019Summer-2019.pdf - (1.4 MB)
- Spring 2019Spring-2019.pdf - (493 KB)
- Winter 2019Winter-2019.pdf - (436 KB)
- Autumn 2019Autumn-2019.pdf - (943 KB)
- Summer 2018Summer-2018.pdf - (408 KB)
- Spring 2018Spring-2018.pdf - (349 KB)
- Winter 2018Winter-2018.pdf - (277 KB)
- Autumn 2018Autumn-2018.pdf - (303 KB)
- Summer 2017Summer-2017.pdf - (276 KB)
- Winter 2017Winter-2017.pdf - (1.2 MB)
- Autumn 2017Autumn-2017.pdf - (413 KB)