Sunrise grant helps students learn to conserve the Coast15 February 2018 - Sunrise Foundation
Pā-Kirikiri is a traditional pā site of Whanau a Rua of Tokomaru Bay, Pā-Kirikiri was gazetted as a Marae Reservation in 1954. The main purpose of Pākirikiri Marae today is to preserve and maintain Matauranga Māori through Tikanga (protocols) and Kawa (practices) handed down from their ancestors.
Pākirikiri Marae Trustees supported the establishment of a Pā Wānanga mo ngā Taiohi – a place of learning for youth - to improve educational achievement and increase engagement of Taiohi in Matauranga Māori.
The Pākirikiri Wānanga was established in June 2016 to provide a Pā Wānanga mo ngā Taiohi to acquire knowledge and skills to restore and conserve land while gaining Level 2/3 NCEA credits in pest eradication.
Their grant from Sunrise sponsored two students on the Hotaka Hanga Taiapa course 29-31 October 2017. Hotaka Hanga Taiapa is the first instalment in land conservation courses.
Students learnt to install, dismantle and store temporary electric fences, open and draw out a coil of wire, tie knots, join wire, and prepare wire for transport and storage, identify and maintain fencing tools and equipment, and identify fencing construction materials and wire types.
They also learnt to replace a broken post, repair broken wire in fences, and install wooden battens for fencing.
Students gained new knowledge and skills to conserve land as well as gaining Level 2 NCEA credits.
Read more about who else we've helped with Sunrise grants.
- Summer 2023Summer-2023.pdf - (551 KB)
- Spring 2023Spring-2023.pdf - (515 KB)
- Winter 2023Winter-2023.pdf - (541 KB)
- Autumn 2023Autumn-2023.pdf - (549 KB)
- Summer 2022Summer-2022.pdf - (560 KB)
- SPRING 2022SPRING-2022.pdf - (451 KB)
- Winter 2022Winter-2022.pdf - (1 MB)
- Autumn 2022Autumn-2022.pdf - (460 KB)
- Summer 2021Summer-2021.pdf - (553 KB)
- Spring 2021Spring-2021.pdf - (1.1 MB)
- Winter 2021Winter-2021.pdf - (606 KB)
- Autumn 2021Autumn-2021.pdf - (568 KB)
- Summer 2020Summer-2020.pdf - (584 KB)
- Spring 2020Spring-2020.pdf - (548 KB)
- Winter 2020Winter-2020.pdf - (548 KB)
- Autumn 2020Autumn-2020.pdf - (478 KB)
- Summer 2019Summer-2019.pdf - (1.4 MB)
- Spring 2019Spring-2019.pdf - (493 KB)
- Winter 2019Winter-2019.pdf - (436 KB)
- Autumn 2019Autumn-2019.pdf - (943 KB)
- Summer 2018Summer-2018.pdf - (408 KB)
- Spring 2018Spring-2018.pdf - (349 KB)
- Winter 2018Winter-2018.pdf - (277 KB)
- Autumn 2018Autumn-2018.pdf - (303 KB)
- Summer 2017Summer-2017.pdf - (276 KB)
- Winter 2017Winter-2017.pdf - (1.2 MB)
- Autumn 2017Autumn-2017.pdf - (413 KB)